Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Freaky Ferns and Fungus in Forest Park

16_apr_08_hiking_routeMy route though Forest Park - 6.6mi


I planned to meet Aaron at the Saltzman road entrance. He got stuck in a meeting though, so I decided to start without him. I figured I'd walk slowly and take lots of pictures and he could catch up.



P1050912Fungus near the Saltzman road gate.

I went down firelane 5, but parked my truck in the direction of Saltzman. I figured Aaron would start that way, and meet up with me on Wildwood trail.

He did go down Saltzman, but walked all the way down to Leif Erikson - so we ended up hiking the loop in opposite directions.


P1050917Banana Slug

Not sure if this is the regular Pacific Banana Slug (Ariolimax columbianus) or if it's the Slender Banana Slug (Ariolimax dolichophallus)


P1050922Unidentified Mushroom

Very similar to the one I saw in Tualatin Hills nature park on Monday.


P1050943Backside of an old trillium.

Trillium ovatum starts out white but turns purple as it ages. It's very pretty


P1050957Another old trillium

The forest is just full of trilliums this time of year. They're everywhere along the path.


P1050925Unidentified fern on firelane 5


P1050962Sword Fern - Polystichum munitum


P1050981Norhern Maidenhair Fern - Adiantum pedatum

I just love these delicate ferns with their distinctive blue stems.

Here's another maidenhair starting to unfurl.


P1050993Unidentified fern on Wildwood trail.


P1060028Another unidentified fern on Wildwood trail.

This one looks very similar to the last, but with dark brown hairs.

P1060014Unidentified Mushroom

P1050966Magnificient Moss - Plagiomnium venustum

It really is magnificient!

P1060036Wildwood trail, east of Saltzman Rd.

No comments: